Saturday, January 10, 2015

My long overdue blog is now a reality. I'm calling it, Details Matter. Once you read it, you'll learn about all the details that matter to me. In broad categories that means lots of fashion and food posts, but that won't stop me from expressing my opinion on other topics. 

I'll start off with a favorite recipe. Today is a cold, dreary day...well, for most of us who live in South Texas. I'm staying indoors most of the day and turning on the oven to do some baking. Soup and cornbread on my lunch menu. This is my version of cornbread:

Southwestern Cornbread Muffins
1           cup yellow cornmeal
½          cup whole wheat flour
½          cup all-purpose flour
¼          cup sugar
4           teaspoons baking powder
½          teaspoon salt
1           egg, beaten
1 2/3     cup milk
3           tablespoons vegetable oil
¾          cup Mexi-corn, drained

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat muffin pan generously with non-stick cooking spray or use cupcake liners.

In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flours, sugar, baking powder and salt.

In a 2-cup measure, combine egg, milk, and oil; mix thoroughly. Stir in Mexi-corn.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not over mix.

Pour batter into the prepared pan, filling the cups ¾ full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and a tester comes out clean.

Makes 12-14 muffins, depending on the size of the cups.

Notes: For additional texture, use stone-ground cornmeal. I use 1% milk and corn oil. You may substitute 1 cup all-purpose flour. The Mexi-corn or Southwestern corn (the name varies depending on the brand) contains diced red peppers and green/poblano peppers. If you omit the corn, decrease the milk to 1 cup. Most cornbread recipes, list the baking temperature at 400 degrees; I prefer to bake cornbread at 350 degrees.


Preview for next post: It's awards season and that means Red Carpet fashions. Sunday, I'll be live tweeting (@maryanthony) and posting on Facebook (maryranthony) during the Golden Globes pre-show and awards presentation. I'll do a recap of which gowns I liked or didn't like on Details Matter. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mary, I didn't know you had a blog. I would love to follow you on your blog. I started one too and although I haven't had any activity on it from others, I know I've had some views. I'm going to keep going and trying. Keep posting! : )

    ReplyDelete